The Complete Man: Soccer Captain Brent Shannon Leads On and Off the Pitch  

Dave Quick

Vocal Leader: Boys soccer captain Brent Shannon will play a major role this season in seeing whether the Dubs can repeat last season’s deep playoff run.

While most of the North Atlanta student body were sitting in the stands cheering on the soccer team in its Final Four matchup with Johns Creek in May, last spring, then sophomore Brent Shanon was on the field helping lead the Dubs impenetrable back line, a stout defense that conceded just one goal in its three playoff games leading up to the Final Four playoff defeat. Noteworthy play on the pitch was nothing new to Shannon, now a junior and one of three captains on the varsity team. He has been a consistent player and starter for his soccer-playing career at North. He’s also played a big role in the team’s recent success and in last year’s deepest playoff run in school soccer history.  

Last season, the boys soccer team started off the season 0-3-3. The team changed from these less-than-stellar ways and – picking up when region play started – went on a brillant run all the way to the state 6A boys soccer Final Four game. Shannon had a front-row seat on the recent success. “There were some worries when we started out slow,” Shannon said. “But then the seniors and upperclassmen just changed our attitudes and we were in a position to turn the season around.” 

This year, on Jan. 25, the Dubs dropped their first game of the season by a score of 2 to 0 against a formidable Atlanta International School opponent. After that loss, Shannon said he felt it was his turn to seek a mental turnaround in the team he was now charged to lead as a captain. Since that night the team beat a succession of teams and wins came against squads like East Forsyth, Cross Keys and Holy Innocents Episcopal. The team captain said he knows just how important leadership will be for this year’s team. “We lost two of our top scorers from last season, and also some of the more vocal leaders,” Shannon said. “I just know that there’s a need for a rallying voice and my fellow captain colleagues and I are ready to provide those voices.” 

For the 2022 Warrior boys soccer team, Shannon is joined in captaincy duties with senior Michael Garcia and junior Diego Fonseca.  

From a young age Brent played every sport he could get his hands on, from soccer to basketball and even swimming and cross country. This extensive background in many different sports taught him many necessary skills and life lessons to be successful in soccer. “All the different sports I have played have all helped me become a better and more complete soccer player,” said Shannon. 

Being a multi-sport athlete has only served Shannon in making him even stronger on the soccer pitch. As he’s gotten deeper into his high school year, he has left other sports behind to mostly focus on “the beautiful game.” And his coaches have noted Shannon’s focus – and the vocal contributions he’s making for his teammates. “Any team is nothing without leadership and all players respond to a strong peer who matches play on the pitch with forceful directed instruction,” said varsity soccer coach Jack Stenger. “What’s so valuable about Brent is that he leads both in word and in example. It makes a powerful difference for all of us.”  

Also impressive is the fact that Shannon is the complete student-athlete at North Atlanta. This year, as a junior, he dove right into the school’s International Baccalaureate Diploma Program IB and he’s been strong in all of his classes in that rigorous program. Shannon is also active in Scouting and is well on his way toward Eagle Scout status, the highest level of achievement in that organization. All along, Shannon said for him it’s important to achieve in all areas where he competes. “While I love soccer and all the sports I play, school will always come first for me,” Shannon said. “The ‘student’ part of ‘student athlete’ will always be my primary emphasis.”  

This season, Shannon’s play will go a long way to see if the Dubs can repeat their deep playoff run from last year. While the chances of that are, as of yet, uncertain, what is certain is that soccer captain Brent Shannon represents the highest ideals of Warrior Sports. Go Brent! Go Dubs!