Fans Select: Friday Night Lights Fashion

Students in Style: Dubs determine if Friday night theme’s are fab or flops.

This fall the WARZONE went wild, with students showing up and out for every single game. The stands were filled with shouting and cheering and students gallantly decorated in their weekly getups. Aside from the actual game, most integral to the student section was each Friday night’s theme. This year’s themes were blackout, Hawaiian luau, camo x safari, pink out, costume, ski, and white out. After an extremely successful season, the Dubs have nothing to complain about, but some do have input on the second most important part of game day, the themes.

Year after year students scour their closets and make last-minute trips to Party City to hold up each week’s game theme, searching for boas, face paint, tutus, and any other accessories they can fashion themselves with. “I like the themes because they’re easy to throw together at the last minute,” said senior Diana Monsouri. “Though I think there could have been some new ones thrown into the mix.”

Some students think it is time for a change, including junior Meyrav Malino who said, “I’m tired of the same themes my past three years. Hopefully, there will be new themes my senior year.”

Students have big ideas for next year’s game days and their suggestions include toga, Adam Sandler, formal wear, throwback, and pajamas. Which translates to white drapes, baggy clothes, “fancy” dresses and suits, thrift wear, and sleepwear, all of which sound like the perfect, simple Friday night outfit. “Formal wear would be such a fun theme,” said freshman Leighton Snider. “Especially for homecoming.”

Of the themes this year, preference seems to lean towards Hawaiian luau. Students took this one into their own hands and made the theme grand. They did not stop at leis and Hawaiian shirts; some went as far as palm tree blow-ups and coconut bras. Henderson Stadium turned into a luau–and from the field, it certainly looked that way. “The crowd brought the energy during the Luau game,” said senior football player Eli Maclane. “As the first game, it definitely set the stage for the fantastic season to come.”

With football season over, students will now have to wait until next year to find out if their suggestions are taken to heart. And as seniors leave behind their game day legacy, they depart with their four years of memorable game day outfits. As the freshmen step in, the responsibility now falls on their shoulders to uphold the students’ spirit and fashionable fits.