A Deserved Victory: Allison Shepherd winning the “Atlanta Public Schools Excellence in Arts Education” Award

Art Teacher Extraordinaire: Allison Shepard

In celebration of artistic achievement, the Atlanta Public Schools’ Fine & Performing Arts Department recently honored outstanding educators and community members with the “Atlanta Public Schools Excellence in Arts Education” Award. 

This prestigious award is given to four teachers from elementary, middle, and high schools in the district, along with a district-wide administrator, and an exceptional community servant, in order to celebrate their remarkable contributions to arts education. The nomination process is anonymous and read by a ghost committee composed of professionals both within and outside of education. This diverse panel reads the nominations with an unbiased eye, making their selections based solely on the merit of the nominees’ contributions.

North Atlanta High School is home to two of the recipients this year, one being Mrs. Shepherd, a beloved visual arts educator. “I had no idea that I was nominated! I was so shocked and surprised,” said Mrs. Shepherd. 

Her dedication to her students and the community was not only seen by her colleagues but also deeply felt by her students. “I’m so glad Mrs. Shepherd won that award!” said her student, Kate Tully “No one deserves it more than her! She has shaped my entire artistic journey!”

Her commitment to her students and the arts resonates deeply with the community, a sentiment evidenced by the thoughtful gifts and gestures presented to her. The surprise award ceremony was marked by touching moments. “I was surprised by all of the members of my department bringing me flowers, treats, balloons, and music into my classroom during the last final exam on the last day of school. I was really taken aback,” Mrs. Shepherd said. 

The awards ceremony highlighted the impact of educators like Mrs. Shepherd on the Atlanta arts scene. “The award was humbling. It is validating that what I do as a visual arts educator really matters to my students, their families, and the community of Atlanta,” she said. 

Her passion for her work is also evident through her involvement in district leadership. “People remind me that I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, because I have already been recognized as an excellent arts teacher and district leader,” said Mrs. Shepherd.

With her eyes on her future, she plans to use this award in her pursuit of a Masters Degree in Leadership, which would certainly further solidify her position as a driving force in arts education. Mrs. Shepherd said, “I hope that it opens more doors in the future.” 

The “Atlanta Public Schools Excellence in Arts Education” Award, serves as a beacon of inspiration for educators, administrators, and community servants, shining a spotlight on those who shape the creative landscape of Atlanta’s youth.